US Patrol Turned Back at Syrian Army Checkpoint. US Officer: “We Are Here to Bring Peace Just Like the Russians”
Syrian officer: "Wherever the US goes it brings death and destruction, you are not welcome here"
More footage from the February 12 standoff between a US patrol and Syrian villagers and soldiers in the village of Khirbet Amo in northeastern Syria. The standoff eventually resulted in
- American reinforcements arriving in 5 additional vehicles,
- the Russians arriving on the scene to try to calm things down,
- a molotov cocktail being thrown at one of the American vehicles,
- the Americans killing one of the villagers,
- the Syrians opening rifle fire on armored US vehicles,
- F-16s circling overhead, firing flares from a low altitude,
- and the Americans in the end nonetheless retreating and going back to base.
The exchange between the US commander and a Syrian officer through an Iraqi translator the Americans have with them:
– “We Are Here to Bring Peace Just Like the Russians”
– “Wherever the US goes it brings death and destruction, you are not welcome here.”
The Russian perspective as gunfire breaks out:
What the Russians are saying among each other as Americans open fire. Not everything is intelligible, and expletives are edited out from the audio track:
– Look, he is shooting.
– The pindos [a derogatory term for Americans].
– What is he shooting at? He is shooting at something. He is shooting over their heads.
– An outrage… They are moronic soldiers.
– “Bringing peace”…
– What does he want even want?
– There was no order to open fire.
– Nobody will understand anything.
– He is blocked, he has nowhere to go… This is the [person/vehicle] we are supposed to guard.
– He poured something on its back too.
– And you, comrade major, ask, “Why everybody is [expletive muted]?” Huh? You understand now that there is no difference between them.
– But they shoot, see, there are impacts.
– What’s that?
– F-16 or something…
– He gets lower… There he is.
– What’s his caliber?
– They have provoked it themselves.
Among everything else a Syrian villager also had fun raising his national flag over one of the US vehicles:
– “Smile you’re in the Syrian Arab Republic, you asshole. Film, film, film the mercenaries with the Syrian flag over their heads”
#Syrians film a video raising Syrian Nat'l flag over an #US_occupation armored hummer vehicle.
"Smile (to the camera) u're in the Syrian Arab Republic , u a**hole."
"Film film, film the mercenaries with the Sy flag over their heads"
And the child says "this is a son of b*tsh" pic.twitter.com/ZAW5hxIZdP
— Wissam Sliman (@WissamSlimanSy) February 15, 2020